It is the most important task of the Swiss Society of Pharmaceutical Sciences to actively promote Pharmaceutical Sciences, also by honouring persons from academia and industry for their merits in this wide field of research and general actitivities. The Reichstein Medal is regarded as the "Swiss Noble prize in pharmaceutical sciences", and awarded to individuals of international standing, who have actively contributed to the promotion of pharmaceutical sciences in Switzerland with respect to research, education and professional activities. According to the by-laws of SSPhS, the candidate is selected by the Executive Committee. Selection criteria include:
- Outstanding direct or indirect contribution to the promotion of pharmaceutical sciences in research, education and/or professional activities
- International reputation.
- Excellent achievements, at least partially performed in Switzerland that directly benefited the pharmaceutical sciences in Switzerland.
- Preferably trained as pharmacist or having received post-graduate training in pharmaceutical sciences.
- Preferably still professionally active at date of award recognition.
The Reichstein Medal was created by the artist Willy Engel of Thun (Switzerland).
We anticipate that we will be given the opportunity to expand our little gallery of the Reichstein-Medal winners by many further persons of merit.
Reichstein-medal winners gallery